My desire is to walk with women who are on their own spiritual journey. I enjoy creating a welcoming and safe place for you as I listen well, both to you and to God, who is the true Director.
What is spiritual direction?
“The concern of spiritual direction is not a separate realm, but the deepest dimension of every realm.” (Thomas N. Hart)
At the heart of spiritual direction is listening. Holy listening. You listen to God. I listen to you. Together we listen to and watch for the Spirit’s movement in your life. A spiritual direction appointment is where we take the time to notice how God is moving in your heart, your mind, your life. It is sacred space to be open to the grace of God.
One of my favorite metaphors for spiritual direction is that of midwife. A Spiritual Director is like a midwife who opens her heart’s home to you in holy hospitality. She creates a safe place for you and attends to a process that literally has a life of its own. The Spiritual Director accomplishes this through listening well, both to you and to the Holy Spirit, who is the true Director.
“As a holy listener …. I have to put myself out of the way, to become humble in the true sense of knowing my place in the order of God’s creation …. above, all, I must be reverent, for I am entrusted with something precious and tender.” (Margaret Guenther)
Questions are asked, connections are pointed out, spiritual practices may be recommended. And all of this in the context of safe, holy listening.
Is spiritual direction really for me?
“Spiritual direction is a prayer process in which a person seeking help in cultivating a deeper personal relationship with God meets with another for prayer and conversation that is focused on increasing awareness of God in the midst of life experiences and facilitating surrender to God’s will.” (David Benner)
There are many reasons why someone enters into a spiritual direction relationship. Maybe you recognize yourself in one of the following statements:
- “I feel like I’ve been at a plateau for a while. What new frontiers might God inviting me to explore?”
- “I’ve heard of spiritual disciplines, but I really don’t know how to make sense of them for my life.”
- “I would like to grow in my ability to notice God in my every day life.”
- “I would like to know God better. I feel like I am at a stand-still in relating to Him.”
- “I want to grow spiritually. What might be a few next steps?”
- “I can’t see where I am in relation to God. I can’t see where I am headed.”
- “My spiritual life doesn’t seem to work the way it used to. What is going on?”
- “I would like to explore the intersection between my personal, spiritual life and my life of relationships and responsibilities.”
How do I begin?
The most simple answer to this question is…PRAY! This is a genuine invitation. Your quest for someone with whom you could share your life, prayer, and your relationship with God is something that should come out of a leading of the Spirit.
Is there any financial cost?
There is a fee of $75 per one-hour session (usually meeting once per month).
An initial phone consultation of 30 minutes is complimentary.
If you are in the Orange County Area, we can meet in person.
Skype is another great way to connect if you are out of the area.